Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Tasmaniosaurus triassicus

This beastie is the oldest archosaur known from Australia. Actually his remains were only found a short distance from the university where I study everything I desire with the exception of palaeontology! Tasmaniosaurus was probably the top predator of its time in the Triassic swamps of Hobart. In appearance it would have probably resembled a crocodile and I have modelled its flesh on saltwater crocodile soft anatomy. I was probably about a metre long and had a similar lifestyle; feeding on the amphibians and heavily scaled fish of its environment. It is believed to be a member of the Proterosuchidae and thought to be a relative of Chasmatosaurus that inhabited Africa and China.

I did this drawing with the possibility that I may have to get into contact with John A. Long, a well-known palaeontologist in Australia who works the Devonian Gogo Formation near Broome in Western Australia. At that point I didn't know where to go for my Honours Project and doing the drawing helped me digest my thoughts. I have several of John Long's books and I did this drawing based on a reconstruction of a skull I found in his Dinosaurs of Australia and New Zealand and other animals of the Mesozoic Era.

No comments: