Friday, December 28, 2012

O-Shamo



I was roaming around the Science Library looking at random books as you do when I happened across a book that was a Catalogue of South-East Asian Poultry. I was quite intrigued. The shape and form of Asiatic chooks seems to be quite a bit different to the rounded bulk of European fowl. My Mother had described the chickens she had grown up with and they had pictures of Filippino chicken breeds there. They oven have very long legs and tighter plumage. They are actually more similar to the ancestral red jungle fowl (Gallus gallus) which is still reputed to be widespread in the wilds of South-east Asia. One particular chicken breed that causght my attention was the Japanese O-Shamo. This drawing was done in the Science Library of the Sandy Bay Campus of the University of Tasmania. This was when I was doing my bachelor's degree. The year was 2008.

No comments: