Saturday, November 29, 2008

More Images of Distress....



This is another image I did when caught with a mathematical Environmental Geology practical. I was very frustrated because I knew that hydrogeology was completely (or I think completely) to what I want to do with my life and I was stuck here doing it. If I failed the subject I would be denied of my geology major all because of a skill that I would probably never use again in my life. Its really quite frustrating. The only time I got a High Distinction was when I was doing a course that was 50% palaeontology in first year. I get so irritated by being made to do everything possible except for the thing I want to do the most that the anger drives me to distraction and adversely effects my results. I definitely won't be a first grade Honour's student, although I know it isn't everything. How it is quite infuriating that I am judged on a two digit number which has no reflection on my intelligence. At least that leg of the journey is over.

Anyhow, all these thoughts as well as the grief over the death of my Mum in April this year brought me to tears and I had to flee the practical. I had never done that before. One of the main functions of drawing me, (since I had my break through when I was ten and realised I could turn a circle into anything I liked), was stress relief. It is a form of escapism. You can say that it helps me to manage my Asperger's Disorder and allows me to make sense of the world which is no small feat if you have the condition. Here I was imagining the sort of environment that Dromornis may have inhabited back in the Pliocene (5.3-1.8 million years ago) but of course I am not sure what sort of vegetation was around when Dromornis was roaming the country. That is something for further reference. I've got to stop putting claws on him. Watching him from a tree limb above is a Thylacoleonid. I know it is anachronistic but I was thinking of the Middle Miocene Wakaleo vanderleuri. I had just recently found a set of two volumes in the Science Library edited by Micheal Archer called Possums and Opossums. There was a paper there describing Wakaleo with enormous photos of the skull. I was very excited! I took photocopies for my drawings and ran off into my dreams with them!

In Reswobia, you can be as anachronistic as you like...



This is the reverse side of the sheet of paper. It is a random drawing of Aquiline the Imperial Diallonyx, my alter-ego. That climatology assignment and the environment geology stuff was driving me nuts.

No comments: